July 13, 2010

Epitaph

I wrote this about a year ago in my English class.


I thought the sky would be gray
And overcast with thick clouds.
I assumed the rain would pour down continually
And drench my soul to the ground.
I figured my heart would drip my life
To the very core of the earth.
I just knew that I would be punished
For every wrongdoing I'd ever committed.
But I was mistaken.
The sky is a brilliant blue
With white cotton ball clouds.
The rain comes and goes as it pleases,
But it is a warm spring sprinkling of love.
My soul and my heart have never felt lighter.
My wrongdoings are forever forgotten.
My life plays before my eyes
As a slideshow of magnificent colors and memories.
I see the golden pony I had when I was younger.
I see the camping trip my father took me on when I was a teen.
Flashing before me now are the days when I fell in love;
The days that I spent with my husband and my children.
There are no bad memories in this slideshow of my long life,
And I realize that maybe, just maybe, this new home of mine
Is worth every tear that every person will ever cry for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment