July 13, 2010

Our Journey

 I wrote this about a year ago.


Our Journey

I must confess, the love was strong.
It captured your heart and mine.
But you know I felt that I didn’t belong.
This sweet love was too divine.

Though you were better than I myself,
The world grew to accept us.
The birds sang their songs of sweet surrender.
The wind’s lullaby caressed us.

The clouds changed shapes for us to see.
Leaves danced along the sidewalk.
Hand-in-hand we strolled along,
Took our time; didn’t think, didn’t talk.

Yours was mine and mine was yours.
Adventure was ours for the taking.
A simple kiss, a sweet touch from your lips,
And our love was in the making.

I cared for you more than I cared for myself,
Wanted your happiness more than my own.
But the world claimed its grip on your life,
And now I’m left here all alone.

Though “alone” is not the word I’d use
To describe how I feel today.
I still smell you, hear you, see you, dear,
In every thing, every place, every way.

You’re there in the way the trees sway their branches,
The way the dust kicks up in the breeze.
When a child laughs or cries or simply plays.
I just want one more day with you, please…

But I have to accept that you’re gone and move on.
I have to force my heart to let you go.
I still love you but our time has passed,
But I’ll never forget you, you know.


No comments:

Post a Comment