January 04, 2011

You Were My Error


Sat down to write and this is what came of it. Before you ask, it's not true. Just something I came up with.


Begin...

Walk.
Walk away from you, from the hurt and the pain. Walk away from everything that we were, everything that I knew. Because everything I knew doesn't matter anymore. Everything that we were is nothing now. You are nothing now. But even as I write this, I know it's not true. You're still everything to me. Everything I want and need. But I'm trying to be strong. Easier said than done, of course. My tears will cascade down my face for as long as I live. You're beautiful, you know? You'll always be my favorite. But what does it matter now? You don't even care about me anymore. In fact, I'm not sure you really ever did. You were always good at pretending. You were always good at making me believe that we had something. Making me fall for you before I could see the red flags. I handed over my heart like it was nothing, and you crushed me. You broke me until I couldn't be broken anymore. I fell to pieces at your feet and begged you to pick me up and put me back together again. But did you? Of course not. You took me piece by piece and tore me apart until I was nothing. I loved. I gave. I breathed you in until you were all that I knew. But it wasn't enough. None of it was ever enough. I'll never be good enough. I was crumpled beyond belief. So I finally had enough. I became the nothing you always wanted me to be. I became nonexistent. But even now that I'm useless and only a memory, I find that part of me is still around, still unable to escape. You had me trapped, suffocating for freedom that no one could give me. So I found a way out and freed myself. I walked out of your life just the way you walked out of mine: without a goodbye or the flicker of hope that a second chance brings. I was there, but you never saw me. Just as easily, I'm gone. Some things never change. You'll still look through me as if I'm not there. The only difference is that I'm really not there this time. Congratulations on being too late to save me from drowning in all the pain you caused me. Not that you would have tried very hard anyway. But like I said, nothing matters anymore. I hope I hurt you as bad as you hurt me. I hope you regret everything we ever had. I hope you hate yourself for making me do this to myself, for causing me to extinguish the flame of life that I was never worthy of having in the first place. I hope you still feel me there, all around you. I hope my presence is a constant reminder of how much I hated loving you. So go ahead, try to break my heart now. Try to hurt me. Try to shove me to the ground. Try to tell me how worthless I am.
Try to kill me...oh wait, I already beat you to it.

...End.


No comments:

Post a Comment