June 22, 2010

Memoir

I wrote this my Junior year of high school in English.


Something I Can't Deny

I meet lots of new people in my life. It's something I enjoy doing. I love my social life. I talk to people at school, I talk to people at work, I talk on my phone, I text on my phone, and the list goes on and on. I talk to people everywhere I go. Along with talking to people comes situations like developing great friendships, or just remaining mere acquaintances. I can tell whether I'm going to connect with someone and develop a friendship or not.
Life isn't always fair. Sometimes I want to be good friends with someone I've just met and it never works out. Sometimes I think I'll never be friends with someone, and within the next couple months, it's as if we've been friends our whole lives.
There are people in my life now that I'm very thankful for. I've developed such great friendships with them that I can't imagine us not being friends. Life just wouldn't be the same without them. With these amazing friendships, I've learned to trust these people. I really don't trust easily, but these people have never given me a reason not to trust them. So I've learned to trust these people wholeheartedly, with everything that I am and with everything that I have in me. But along with this trust comes the belief that these people will never hurt me, or let me down, or make mistakes. If I place someone on a pedestal, it is only a matter of time before he or she is destined to fall. I've learned that these people are the ones in my life who shouldn't ever hurt me. They shouldn't ever treat me wrong or say mean things or make me sad. These people have my trust and they shouldn't let me down. But I cannot deny that the people in life that I trust the most will eventually let me down. These are the people that I thought would never disappoint me. But absolutes won't get me anywhere in situations like these. I'm going to get hurt by these people. I'm going to get upset with them. They're going to make me sad and angry, and they're going to say mean things to me or treat me wrong. I love these people, but just like me, they are only human, and they will make mistakes. I cannot deny this. Yet I also cannot deny that when they knock me down, I will pick myself back up, and I will continue to love them and to live my life with them in it. I will forgive them and I will show them kindness, because they make mistakes just like I do. If I never forgive them, how can I expect them to ever forgive me? Yes, these people will surprise me, sometimes in unpleasant ways, but they put up with me, so shouldn't I also put up with them? These people are my friends, my family, my loves. I wouldn't choose to go a day without them, even if they are upsetting me. The negative days will pass, and the positive days will shine brighter than before. I can't deny that I love these people, till the very end of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment