June 21, 2010

You May "Call Me Ishmael"

This is something I wrote in English my junior year of high school.



Sleeping Beauty

-You may call me Aurora, Princess Aurora if you please. Or if it so befits you, I suppose you may call me Briar Rose, but Rose for short. At birth I was gifted with blessings of beauty and musical talents. I was raised to be lovable and obedient. Some people say I am naive and gullible, but I shake those notions off just like a tree shakes itself of its leaves during autumn. I have a voice filled with so much beauty that it shall surely break your heart and bring tears to your eyes when you hear my melodious tones leave my throat and flow into the air surrounding us. I sing everywhere I go. It's a part of who I am. I am made of beauty, charm, and romance, yet I'm still a little girl on the inside. I still laugh and dance and play in nature, and sing with the birds when I please. I'd like to say I'm a strong, level-headed girl, but I'm not. I'm carefree and curious, but I don't see anything wrong with that.
-I live with the most adorable little old women that you ever did see! Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather are just the best aunts ever. They're like mother hens to me, always watching out for me and wanting to protect me and keep me safe. I'll admit, sometimes they're a little scatter-brained, but I love them all just the same. Every day we sit around the front room and have tea. They make the best tea in all the surrounding kingdoms, though they'll deny it every time. They bicker with one another time and time again, but they mean well. It's sibling talk, really. They're only happy if I'm happy, and they want the best for me. They have a certain bounce and skip to their walk that makes me smile every time I see them. I couldn't ask for better guardians.
-I have one main dream in this little life of mine. I hold fast to the dream of true love. This is where some people say I'm naive, but so be it if that's what they think. I can't stop their thoughts. I believe I will one day find true love and live happily ever after, no matter what anyone else thinks. I live my life in a fairy tale, so I've heard. I suppose it's probably true.
-I've also heard other things. Rumors of sorts, I suppose. I've heard that on my sixteenth birthday I'll prick my finger on a spinning wheel and fall into a deep sleep, only to be awakened by true love's kiss. It sounds a little morbid, yet almost romantic in a messed up way. I'd never wish it upon myself though. I'd never wish it upon anyone, for that matter. My sixteenth birthday is supposed to be the day I claim my place as Princess Aurora in my father King Stefan's kingdom. I should have a fancy dress and a fancy cake and a ball held in my name. It shall be just wonderful. That is, if it happens.
-I worry sometimes that these rumors might be true, but I'm a carefree little spirit, so I put them behind me and skip through life with a joyous attitude. I suppose I'll find true love one way or another, whether it is love at first sight, or by awakening to his sweet kiss. My dream will come true one day, somehow, some way.


-You could call me Sleeping Beauty or Princess Aurora as well, but I'd prefer Nicole. Although I'm going to go out on a limb and say that we act pretty similar. I'm usually gentle and I'm a girl who likes to be dreamy, just like Sleeping Beauty. Both of us can be naive and very stubborn sometimes as well. Like Princess Aurora, I wear my emotions on my sleeve and sometimes risk putting my heart out there for another person to hold. I don't trust as easily as she does, but when I do find someone I can trust, I pour my complete and whole trust in them. This either opens me up for hurt or opens me up for happiness, or sometimes both. Both Sleeping Beauty and I love our social lives, though hers was mostly talking to animals, which I'll admit I sometimes do also. I stick with humans when it comes to singing, though. I don't believe in love at first sight like Sleeping Beauty, but I do have a strong dream to someday fall madly in love and live happily ever after with my "Prince Charming." Though I don't plan on pricking my finger on a spinning wheel and falling into a comatose sleep in order to do so. I do know that love won't be easy, but I'm willing to overcome hardships, just as Sleeping Beauty was willing to accept and overcome her hardship of falling asleep and being awakened with true love's kiss. After all, true love conquers all, hardships included.

No comments:

Post a Comment